Friday 7 August 2009

Woodlands View Fish O Mania Qualifier

This was my first experience in fish o and I was really looking forward to it, after getting up late, as always, I made my way to meet my mate Wayne at the café. Wayne reckoned deans would win again, which made me want to draw a peg on back deans, preferably a corner. I knew it was all going to be down to how much room you have.

Arriving at Woodlands, it was packed, no spaces anywhere. So after loads of driving around and eventually parking up I had a good walk around. Ghost pool looked good for a few fish and was solid on top peg 12. Neither of us fancied a draw on Hay or Barley, so deans or ghost would do… Ghost peg 22 it was and yes, a corner peg! My arse was twitching like a rabbits nose when I got to the peg and I could see fish absolutely everywhere!

I set up duplicates of most rigs as I thought I was in with a chance and didn’t want to take any risks. I set 2 rigs for 5m, both MW Diamonds on 0.18 Silstar to an 0.16 hook length of the same material to a size 12 PR36. My main attack was down the corner so I set up 2 rigs at about 7m, using Ackoo margin muggers on both rigs with 0.20 Silstar straight through to a no.3 Tubertini 175. Elastics on all rigs was double no. 8.

On the all in I didn’t cup any bait in down the edge and just concentrated short on a big 8mm pellet cupping in just 10 6mm feed pellets, after half an hour I had my first fish about 3lb then went very quiet. After another hour fishing this line I put a lighter rig up for fishing a smaller pellet fishing for everything, using a MW Pellet float, 0.16 to 0.14 hook length and a 16 B911. I had 6 fish in 6 drops, only small but I thought I had sussed it, wrong I was as it died again… Finally I fed my edge peg and after half an hour my flat vanished and I was into a fish about 4lb. I now had about 15lb in my net at the halfway stage and still thought a weight could be on the cards if they showed up in my edge swim. Instead of dumping in bait I shipped out my piece of corn with 10 pieces of corn in a toss pot, as I missed a bite a massive bow wave flew across my peg DAMN! Knowing it was a big fish I put in another 10 grains of corn and waited again, my pole literally was dragged out my hand as an angry carp fled out of my margin a carp about 4lb was safely netted.

After a few more fish my peg dried up completely and I only managed to put a 5 more fish in the net to 5lb and was disappointed, I didn’t hang around for the weigh in as I needed to drown my sorrows so I tipped back around 40lb of carp and was left scratching my head. . . The match was won with over 100lb from one of those stupid sausage lakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment