Friday 7 August 2009

Hillview Lakes Open Match – 30/05/2009

20 fishing

Back to my regular fishery Hillview and I was looking forward to catching a few fish as it had been fishing rather well in recent weeks. Pegs 1 – 5 had been doing a lot of the weights but back up weights were coming from all over. After the best breakfast in the midlands I went in for the draw and pulled out peg 8. Not been in the frame for a while but I still fancied a few fish from it.

Arriving at my peg I was relieved to know peg 9 wasn’t in and neither was 7 so I had ample room for fishing the edges. I set my stall out to fish paste as short as possible so my first rig out of my box was a paste rig comprising a Durafloat 4x14 with 3 No.8 Stotz on 0.20 straight through to a size 12 PR36 hook. Elastic was a double number 8. I only planned to fish 4m. The only other rigs I set up were for down the edges either side, I set up 2 as they were both different depths, to the right I had 3 ½ foot by the pallet and then 3 foot to my left right on the pallet, even still the 2 rigs were Identical. Both rigs again were 0.20 straight through to a number 3 Tubertini 175 hook using Ackoo margin mugger floats in 0.3g. My bait for the day was 2 pints of 4mm pellets, 3 tins of corn and a pint of paste plus some more paste powder in case I ran out.

At the all in I cupped a full pot of corn to my left margin swim and a full pot of pellet and corn to my right margin swim. In front I filled my large toss pot with 4mm pellets and moulded a piece of paste on my hook and within minutes I had a small stocky carp in the net. This pattern continued until I hooked a much bigger fish about an hour in and gave me the run around, just as I thought I had it beat it had one last dart under my pallet, I yanked and yanked but it had done me and come back around the other side just to say bye! My rig was trashed, the fish was lost and I was gutted! After sorting back out and finally getting back into gear I could not catch a fish from my short line, I was fuming!

After another biteless 20 minutes on my main line I decided to try my edges, result, first cast my float buried and I had… a ROACH! I fed this line and moved to my other, after a long wait my float danced around and finally went under resulting in a carp about 2lb. The fish just weren’t there in numbers for any period of time and I finally decided to try paste in the edge which proved disastrous as I fouled hooked everything. The last part of the match was a night mare. I had about 30lb with half hour to go, peg 4 had blitzed it 1 and 2 had caught so no money was at stake so I tried an extra metre past the pallet to the left with a soft expander, in 5 casts I had 5 fish in half an hour, I was gutted! I weighed in 47lb with 99lb winning…

No comments:

Post a Comment