Friday 28 August 2009

Hillview Lakes – 8/8/2009

21 anglers turned up to this one with a lot of new faces, which is always good to see. The big weights from previous matches was obviously attracting more and more anglers. It was a red hot day and I didn’t think it would be a mad bagging day as the carp were all on the top. After a mahooosive breakfast I was at the front of the queue for the draw… peg 17. Smack on the money! I wanted to be on this bank as I was planning fishing past close in on my top 2.

Arriving at my peg it looked perfect for fishing shallow… so I set up loads of rigs to cover everything. 2 rigs for shallow, 1 2 foot deep and 1, 1 foot deep both Malman Thickos 4x10 on 0.16 Silstar with 0.14 hook lengths attaching a hair rigged bait band and a size 16 animal hook. These rigs were on double number 6. I then got 2 identical rigs set up for paste on my top 2, 0.20 Silstar straight through to a size 12 PR36 and Ackoo self cocking paste floats. My last 2 rigs were for down the edges left and right with the same depth. These were also on 0.20 straight through, Ackoo margin float, and a number 3 Tubertini 175. I set up a lot of duplicates just in case I am really bagging a fish a chuck and have a break I can just drop right back in and not lose any rhythm. I have done this more so lately at Hillview as I know soon the record of 280 odd is going to tumble so I want to be prepared just in case I’m the lucky one to be on all those fish!

Back to the match, I had fed a cup of pellet on my top 2 line and fed both edges with a full pot of corn and pellet, I was also throwing some 6mm on my shallow line about 7m. After an hour on the paste I had one lump about 6lb and a skimmer about 1lb. It was tough and no one seemed to be catching much. The amount I was foul hooking was a joke so I quickly got a double pollyball rig out to try it shallow, first drop in I had a carp around the 5lb mark but that was that. I fed it, and my margins and went shallow.

Slap, slap, slap and my pole was yanked from my hands, the regular feeding in the first hour had made it rigid with fish and as I hooked one the surface exploded with fish. I netted a carp and threw about 5 6mm’s in straight away, a few more as I half shipped out, then, slap, slap, slap and again I was into yet another fish. I soon saw almost everyone around the lake go shallow. Steve and Phil on the next pegs went 13m but just couldn’t compete with how fast I was catching at just 7m and I didn’t even need to chase the fish out. I bagged a fish a chuck for the rest of the match between 1 foot and 6 inches deep. I went on to win with 115lb and 2nd place having 90 odd. Result.

No comments:

Post a Comment