Friday 7 August 2009

Hillview Lakes Open – 21 Pegs

It was red hot today and I didn’t think the fish would be feeding much, unfortunately half of the heron had to be used as there was 21 so to give us plenty of room Keith pegged 7 anglers on heron with the other half being occupied by pleasure anglers. I really didn’t want to draw on heron as all of the weights had been coming from moorhen, needless to say I drew 24 heron! Right next to a pleasure angler on peg 23, thank god he was a nice old chap!

Today I knew I wasn’t going to win from this lake so it was all about winning the section and having a few fish hopefully. I wanted to fish shallow but being a corner peg it might not be as productive like the middle of the lake.

I set up 3 rigs for shallow fishing at 13m+ all using Malman floats in size 4x12. All of these rigs were using a bait band with an 18 B911 and 0.14 hook length with 0.16 mainline. All Silstar. The difference being the depth, I had one at 4 feet deep one 3 feet and one shallow at only 1 foot. The last rig I set up was an edge rig for fishing in the corner at 11m, this was on 0.20 using a Ackoo margin mugger and number 3 Tubertini 175. Elastic for shallow work was double no. 6 and double no. 8 for down the edge. My bait was 3 pints of 6mm pellets, 2 pints of 4mm pellets and 2 tins of corn.

At the all in I fed my margin line with a pot of 4mm pellets and then started pinging 6mm’s 13m. I picked up my 3 foot rig and set it to 2 foot deep. I slapped my rig in and my elastic come streaming out so I pinged in some more pellets and netted a bream about 2lb. Next cast was very much the same apart from this was a carp about 7lb and it came in easier than the bream! I fished a steady match, pinging 6 pellets, shipping out pinging 6 more pellets, slapping the rig, then pinging 6 more pellets hook fish, ping 6 pellets... tiring stuff!

The last 2 hours I had to try much harder and ended up at 16m! Then the last hour I had a good hour of catching stockies out of my margin swim on a single grain of corn. I finished the match feeling pleased with how I’d fished, I also knew I had done enough to win my section which is always good but then I also knew that I was know where near the top weights on moorhen.

I was right when I weighed in 57lb for my section next best being 32lb and right again when 99lb won the match from moorhen. Oh well I got my money back, and got a nice tan!

No comments:

Post a Comment