Tuesday 21 April 2009

Mawgan Porth - 14th April 2009

After fishing the Gold match on site yesterday with a section win I was quite confident of getting a result at this place, even though it would be my 1st visit. Looking on the website, 15 anglers were booked in but unfortunately 5 didn’t show so there were 10 of us on the match lake. After talking to the owner, who was very polite, me and my dad realised it would be a fish race and could be won from anywhere. Speed fishing with pellet did suit my style of fishing so I was really up for it. Into the draw bag I pulled out peg 8. I knew nothing about the place apart from this peg won the previous match! After being called a draw bag by my mate Steve I took the short walk to my peg.

Nothing about my peg looked really appealing and to be honest all the pegs looked pretty much the same, with it being such a small place, only short fishing would be needed. After setting up my box and trays etc I pulled out 4 rigs from my box. 1st rig out that would be my main line at 5 metres was a Ackoo Pellet Stick 0.2g. It was set up on 0.14 main line to a 0.12 bottom (all Silstar) and finished off with a Tubertini 808 size 16, but if I did start to bag I was planning on switching the hook length to a 0.14 and a 175 hook size 2, this also doubled up as a very short rig (on my top-2 as it was the same depth). Next rig I set up was a margin rig that would do to my left and right at 5 metres, it was a Hillbilly Grizzly 0.1g on 0.16 to 0.14 Silstar with a number 2 Tubertini 175. My last rig was just a dopping rig in case the came up in the water (but I couldn’t see it happening as it was only 3 ft deep). This was a Malman Adams in the smallest version 4x8 on 0.14 to 0.12 Silstar and incorporated a micro pellet band with a size 18 B911 hook. This was because I could band the pellet and slap it on the water. All rigs were on doubled number 6 slip.

At the all in I cupped in 50 4mm pellets that had been soaked slightly and a couple of expanders on my 5 metre line, then I fed both of my margins with the same amount of bait. I threw 10 pellets on my top-2 line and planned on doing this after every fish (or every 2 minutes or so). 1st drop I had a fish on a 4mm pellet and had 2 in the first 5 minutes until it went slightly quiet, I clipped on a toss pot and started cupping in 10 pellets after every fish this did the trick and after half an hour I had 12 fish. But also started to get pestered by skimmers. I wanted to fish this line at least the first hour and let the top-2 line settle. At this time I could not get my pellet to the bottom so I decided to put the full bulk of shot right above my hook length (six inches) to try and ‘bomb’ the bait down as I felt there were still carp in the peg. This worked and I soon started to bag, having 22 fish in the first hour.

I finally fed the 5 metre line with 50 4mm pellets again and rested it. 1st drop in on my top-2 line I threw in 10 pellets and laid my rig in, it was solid. In 15 minutes I put 12 fish in the net keeping up with the rhythm of feed 10 pellets, drop in, hook a fish, feed 10 pellets, un-hook fish, feed and drop in. this steady rhythm got the fish in the peg and had them lined up. All the time I was on this line I was still feeding my 5 metre line. I then had a disaster mid match with my rig being broken at the loop losing the entire rig on a bigger fish. After getting a duplicate rig out of my box I was soon back in action but lost 5 vital minutes. In the next 30 minutes I had a nightmare with pulling out of fish and hooks blunting. I finally got back into my rhythm stepping up to a 0.14 hook length and a 175 hook.

At the half way stage in the match I had 48 fish and I felt I needed at least 100. I was fish for fish with Harry Billing who was opposite me but felt he had a better first hour than me and I was still catching up. I got my head down and finally got in a good rhythm switching between the 2 lines. My top-2 line was the line where I did my catching up as whenever I went on it, I bagged very quickly. But at times my 5 metre line was also solid.

Into the last hour I had 100 fish in the net and they were queuing up on both lines. I really went for it the last hour putting a carp in the net every cast, I feel I fished it bang on and was rotating at the right time, as I didn’t catch one skimmer in the last hour. I ran out of my pint of soaked pellets which annoyed me a little as I felt I should have been more prepared. But after quickly sorting them out I was back in and bagging. At the all out I was pleased with my performance but did feel I could have been a bit better prepared still with duplicate rigs and pellets, but finishing the match on 140 all roughly averaging the 1lb mark I felt I had done very well for myself on my first visit and pushed Harry Billing right to the end. It would be close at the weigh in.

Steve had weighed in 75lb there was a 50lb, my dad was really pleased when he weighed in 64lb which was his new record. Coming to me Steve was winning, after my 4 weighs I finished with 137lb. My clicker said 140 so it was the closest I had ever been with my estimates! There were a couple of 80’s and my friend Shaun had 97lb but Harry was the man to beat. After 4 weighs also, he finished with 127lb. Result! Winning on your first visit to any venue is pleasing but winning on your first visit and beating one of the best in the country is fantastic!

To top off my day I also pulled out the golden peg! To say my luck was in was an understatement! I’m sure the regulars would not be happy with there new pot of…£12.50!! Happy days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment