Monday 28 September 2009



Elmbridge Sunday Open Match 27/9/2009
15 Pegs

I had never fished Elmbridge before but heard some good things about it (only the heron pool though) so I fancied fishing and having a bash... after all it was only £12 as well!

Arriving at the place following Steve from a McDonalds breakfast I though it was a little plain with the pegs not the best either. I hate being sat up very high from the water and a lot of the pegs were about 3 foot off the water! I bought 2 bags of 4mm pellet and went in for the draw...

I pulled out peg 33 which I didn’t know was good or bad but im guessing it wasn’t that good as Jim hadn’t said a good weight had come off it etc as he did with other pegs. I always think it’s a good thing not knowing the pegs as you can fish how you would normally and not be down heartened from a bad draw.

Arriving at my peg it was one of the high pegs but after getting all my box level I was happy with it as it couldn’t be much better really. I decided on 4 lines, 13m on the deck ( I would of fished shallow but didn’t have any 6mm pellets for banding), short 4m line and 2 lines down the edge.

After plumbing up at 13m it was very deep, about 8 foot which I thought was too deep for today as it was mild but there was fizz coming from it before I even started feeding so I knew there was a few fish in the area, my rig was a 4x18 KC Carpa Chimp with 2 number 10 droppers and a bulk of number 8 stotz. This rig was on 0.16 to an 0.16 hook length and a number 2 175 Tubertini hook. This was set 1 inch over depth for fishing corm. Because of the depth I was planning on fishing positive feeding big pots of pellet and fishing them out.

My next rig was for 4m where I had the ideal depth of about 4 foot. My rig again was 0.16 to 0.16 hook length and a number 2 175 hook. Float choice was a 0.4 Ackoo Pellet Stick with a simple bulk right above the hooklength. I was planning to fish pellet here and just feed via hand at regular intervals.

Finally I plumbed up 2 lines in the edge at the same depth both sides. To my right I had a nice bush and to my left I had a spare pallet to target. My rig was 0.18 to 0.16 hooklength and a number 2 175 hook. Float was a 4x12 Malman thicko again with a simple bulk of number 10’s above the hooklength.

Bait wise I had 4 pints of pellet, 3 tins of corn, some hookers and 2 pints of castors. At the all in I sloshed a full pot of pellet at 13m and a full pot of pellet at 4m. I cupped in a full pot of castor and corn to my pallet and half a pot of corn and castor to the bush.

I started on pellet at 4m planning for a mug fish before I had to go long. 1st drop I hooked a minute carp about 4oz, I fed it again with 10 pellets and dropped back in. My float just danced about and after 5 minutes I fed 10 more pellets and went long. 1st drop I hooked a carp about a pound and steadily plodded on for about half an hour before it slowed, in went another pot of pellet and I dropped in short. First drop in and I was into a carp I wasn’t catching as fast as I’d like and my fish certainly wasn’t as big as other peoples but I carried on. 3 hours in and I was catching much quicker than anyone else but the fish were a lot, lot smaller.






I had been feeding my margin religiously and it looked solid and I could see tails of fish! I dropped in my rig and had 2 fish in 2 drops, still not massive but 3lb a piece. Next put in and I hooked a monster that swam off really slow, it was in the middle of the lake and I was just holding it on my mega power top 2 with 16 hollow elastic all of a sudden I felt no resistance and the fish had just stripped the lot!!! I have no idea what happened but I was fuming, it seemed every bigger fish I hooked today I was losing! I made up a fresh rig quick as you like and laid it in by the bush again and hammered another 3lb carp in the net.

I could still see tails in the edge and I became preoccupied but the fish just didn’t want it. I wasted a fruitless 40 minutes to no avail and then I bagged 10lb in the last half an hour on my short pellet line fish 6 inches off the bottom. I should have moved after not getting a bite, another costly mistake. I was gutted with myself yet again as I just couldn’t win a bean lately! It was really annoying as my results have just slid completely the last few weeks and my head is really taking a battering!

100lb plus was winning and 90lb second all bigger fish I weighed in 76lb and finished 5th. I was completely gutted again and it was really taking its effect on my confidence (which is normally sky high!). I went home dejected and thoughts of what I could have done better, when in effect those 40 minutes wasted I could have put another 10lb in the net at least and managed 3rd or even 2nd if I bagged.

No comments:

Post a Comment